September 27 is the annual “See You At the Pole” event and has been going on for 25 years! This event is not just in the United States, but students all over the world get involved. This is a way to get students excited about prayer and encourage them to share their faith! See You at the Pole is specifically “a day committed to global unity in Christ and prayer” for the younger generation. Students can be seen at 7:00 a.m. gathered around their school’s flag pole leading and being an example to all whether they are believers in Christ or lost.
The whole week is known as the “Global Week of Student Prayer”, which is September 24 through September 30. Students are urged to inspire one another to pray anywhere they can find all week. This could be in new places and times that are unique to them. Another goal for the week is that students start “on campus Bible clubs, prayer strategies, and student ministries” that have a lasting effect on their lives.
This year’s theme is “Fix Your Eyes” from the Bible verse in Hebrews 12:2. This verse says “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (NIV).
Here is a list from the official SYATP website that gives us all different prayer topics we can start praying for now to prepare those involved with this prayer week! Even if you are not part of this generation, you can still pray and participate. Pray for:
- your school’s event starting now, right up to the day of See You at the Pole™.
- the students who are leading and planning your See You at the Pole™ at your school.
- the Christians at your school to show up ready to pray on See You at the Pole™ day.
- the non-Christian students on your campus who will see or hear about SYATP.
- Christian students on your campus to make the most of this unique opportunity to explain what happened on the morning of See You at the Pole™ and to be a witness for Christ.
This whole event was started in 1990 in Texas with a group of teenagers after a DiscipleNow Weekend. God can use anyone for His glory so don’t ever think you aren’t important enough to start sharing the gospel. If you are a student of a school that does not participate in “See you at the pole day, we encourage you to talk with your youth pastor and principal. Be a leader!
Visit syatp.com for even more information!